Regularly Scheduled dental cleanings are the best way to protect your smile from diseases like cavities and periodontitis. Depending on your past oral health and what your specific needs are, you might need a cleaning anywhere between every 3-6 months. Cristel Family Dentistry is dedicated to helping you enjoy healthy teeth that can last the rest of your life! Schedule a dentist appointment “near me” with our Federal Way team today. We will help you get your dental health back on the right track.
How Often Should I See a Dentist?
Dentists and dental hygienists often recommend that people with healthy teeth and gums schedule a preventative care appointment every six months. Individuals who have active periodontal infections or who were previously treated for gum disease might need to be seen for cleanings as frequently as every 3-4 months. Hard-to-reach areas often harbor bacteria that cause relapse and additional bone loss.
Professional oral care in Federal Way is a wise investment when you consider that many dental insurance plans can cover up to 100% of two cleanings and exams per year. Patients who have good brushing and flossing habits can still see a little buildup here and there even with a professional cleaning every six months. It’s important to remove it while it’s still mild so that you’ll be able to maintain your oral health and preserve your smile for a lifetime.
Most of us think of our dental checkup as a basic cleaning. Of course, a cleaning is part of it, but there’s far more to it than just that. Preventative oral care in Federal Way should include:
- A Thorough Exam — Regularly performed dental exams allow us to assess any changes in your bite from one visit to the next. As we monitor the alignment of your teeth, TMJ function, bone levels, and the integrity of any existing dental work, we can quickly diagnose issues that are just starting to develop when they’re easier and more affordable to correct.
- Prophylactic Cleaning — Only your dental team has the tools and training to safely and effectively remove calcified bacterial buildup from your teeth and under your gum tissues. Although you may love the polishing part that comes at the end of your cleaning, the scaling away of buildup is the most integral part of your care! The best “dental care near me” should never be rushed, so be sure to work with a dental hygiene team that’s thorough and gentle.
- Periodontal Evaluation — When you’re scheduling a dentist appointment (near me), be sure to ask if your dental hygienist will perform a periodontal evaluation. This particular step in your exam will screen for gum disease and measure the attachment levels around each tooth. The earlier that periodontal infections are treated, the less likely you are to lose your smile to gum disease.
- Oral Cancer Screening — Your dental team knows your mouth better than practically anyone. “Routine” oral care in Federal Way is an excellent opportunity to get screened for precancerous and cancerous tissues inside of your mouth. Sadly, this dangerous disease is challenging to diagnose on your own until it reaches more aggressive stages. Most people don’t have all of their oral tissues screened for cancer during a routine medical checkup. Oral cancer screenings with our Federal Way dentist could truly save your life.
- Diagnostic Imaging — Digital X-rays and other advanced imaging methods make it possible to screen for dental disease before it’s visible to the naked eye. This technology allows it to be intercepted early and before it worsens or spreads into adjacent areas. 3D CT scanning technology can even help assess the bone density and TMJ function, and can also be used to plan required therapies like oral surgery, dental implant placement, and others.
Dentist Appointment Near Me
Looking for oral care near me? Cristel Family Dentistry offers comprehensive preventative care as well as more advanced therapies at our Federal Way dental office. If it’s been six months or longer since your last checkup, call our office today to reserve an appointment for an exam and professional cleaning.